22 Jul Why Hydrate?
How about this heat?! While I constantly remind myself that I was ready and excited for warmer weather, this heat has been real. As we continue to soak up the sunshine, it feels like a good time to touch on the topic of hydration.
While you might know that our bodies are made up of about 60% water, are you familiar with all of the amazing things water does for us?
Link to the image below: https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/water-you-what-water-does-your-body
Fun fact: water is adequate for our day to day, but when we’re physically active for more than an hour (ie. bootcamp), an electrolyte replacer before/during/or after workout can be helpful. Additionally, excessive caffeine intake can be detrimental to us because it can act as a diuretic and cause us to lose more fluid.
So how do you know how you’re doing with your hydration? An at-home/DIY urine test is an easy guide. Think pale lemonade – light is a good sign, while dark or cloudy can indicate you have some water drinking to do. Here are 6 tips for healthy hydration.
More hydration resources:
- Practical ways to monitor hydration are: urine color and sweat loss
- Be alert for conditions that increase your fluid loss through sweat.
- Know the signs of dehydration.
- Replace fluids during exercise to promote adequate hydration.
- Eat fruit, limit alcoholic beverages and enjoy cold soup.
- Drinking water is important, but to stay hydrated you can include a diverse group of water-rich vegetables, fruits and dairy products in your meal plan.
Knowledge is power, so take a moment to browse through the resources above to help your body thrive during an outdoorsy, hot summer. Cheers!
By Victoria Emmitt RD