24 Apr Nutritional Swaps
As we mentioned before, we all have to eat, and many of us can remember a time where we’ve gotten bored with our same ol’, same ol’ meal and snack choices. Others of us want to boost the quality of our food choices and nutrition, so today, we would like to share simple food swaps that can raise the nutritional quality of our meals and snacks.
- Lettuce. Choose spinach and kale.
- Milk chocolate. Choose dark chocolate. (70% or higher)
- Alcohol. Choose kombucha.
- Granola in yogurt. Choose nuts and seeds.
- Processed meats. Choose lean meats and plant-based protein. (Think meatless Monday with beans instead of ground meat.)
- Refined grains. Choose whole grains. (Think brown rice instead of white rice.)
- Sugary breakfast cereals. Choose whole grain options.
- Juices. Choose smoothies.
- Sugary yogurt. Choose natural or Greek yogurt. (Add your own nuts and fruit for flavoring.)
- White potatoes. Choose sweet potatoes.
- Chips. Choose nuts, veggies, or fruit and nut butter.
- Chips and dip. Choose hummus and veggies or whole grain pita chips.
- Soda. Choose sparkling water with a splash of 100% fruit juice. (Remember, taste buds can adapt and change with time.)
Do you have any favorite food swaps that you have learned to love? Share them with us so we can pass them along!
By Victoria Emmitt RD