Nutrition 101

Nutrition 101

And we’re back! A new 7-week boot camp session is underway. We hope you’re as excited as we are! As you get back into the swing of boot camp things, we’d like to highlight the importance of meal prep and grocery shopping. Finding your balance between nutrition and physical activity is crucial for achieving your best health.

Here are 7 healthy eating tips to keep in mind this session:

  1.       Plan ahead. Meal planning is a game changer when you’re striving for consistency with healthy eating. There are many helpful websites to make your life easier, such as: and
  2.       Be mindful of frequency. Frequency in your diet refers to how often you eat (fill in the blank). I know this is only bullet number two, but let’s face it, no one is perfect and this fact of life applies to our eating habits as well. This is why you’ve probably heard of the 80/20 rule. This principle encourages a person to eat healthy, nutritious foods 80% of the time, then allow flexibility with yourself and your food choices for the remaining 20% of your diet. Personally, I like the balance this creates because it eliminates the “cheat” meal/day talk. Need a refresher on what’s considered a nutritious meal, check out the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate.
  3.       Portion sizes matter. A spoonful or two or three can add up quickly. Pull out your measuring cups and assess your portion sizes as you serve your plate at home. Then do this again periodically as you try new foods and recipes. If you’re eating out, you may need to share an entrée or ask for a to-go box in advance.
  4.       Water, water, water. Although coffee, tea and other beverages contain water, it’s ultra important to drink plain ol’ water regularly throughout the day. If we’re not drinking water, the chances of us drinking empty calories and caffeine in excess are higher. Also note, we can sometimes misread our body’s cue for thirst as hunger.
  5.       Veggies, veggies, veggies. Did you know, the saying, “The more the merrier,” was actually first used in reference to vegetable consumption? Probably not, but it is a great way to think about the addition of veggies to as many meals and snacks throughout the day. Aim to include vegetables as 50% of your meal as often as possible. Keep in mind that unfortunately potatoes, corn, and peas don’t fall into your veggie intake throughout the day. Due to their starchy nature, we categorize these into your carbohydrate food options. However, the myriad of veggies remaining are free game!
  6.       Snacks are great! Healthy snacks are a wonderful way to refuel your body throughout your day. Read our past post about smart snacking.
  7.       Track it. Keeping a food log can be an extremely helpful tool for determining an eating plan and style that works best for you. It’s also a great accountability keeper as you work towards your goals. Depending on your preference, pen and paper or a tracking app, such as MyFitnessPal can be used.


No Comments

Post A Comment